Every day I learn more and more about the Chinese culture. The girls always walk around arm in arm or holding hands. The guys will carry their girlfriend's purse for them. Although the Chinese rarely show affection in public, the youth are changing that tradition. Boyfriend and girlfriend will hold hands as they walk, but a married couple won't. The woman will often walk behind her husband.
The other day a student, Jason, (they all take an American name by the way), took Bill and I to Friendship Park. Although it was raining, we really enjoyed the outing. Jason informed me that by day the Park was for families and kids, but by nite, the areas were left for lovers. I have been warned about walking around a park at nite, unless I want an x-rated experience!
I've found that everywhere I go people stare at me. I'm not sure if it's because I'm wearing a cross necklace, or just obviously a foreigner. I do know the Chinese find overweight people funny.....haha, not really! But, I think the latter is the real reason. When we were at the park standing under a tree to get out of the rain, some people asked Jason if I was a Russian woman because they are BIG women! Embarrassing...........feels like being back in elementary school.
Wishing you the best, cousin. What a culture shock...but then again, what a culture shock the good ole USA would be to them too! ~ Iris
ReplyDelete